During an exciting week in school children have been learning about the importance of clean water and sanitation.
Children in school learnt about the amazing work that the charities Water Aid and toilet twinning do. As part of the project children learnt about the real life issues linked with access to water and toilets in the following countries.
Year 3 Focus – Central America (Nicaragua)
Year 4 Focus – Africa (Ethiopia or Madagascar)
Year 5 Focus – Asia (Cambodia)
Year 6 Focus – Africa (Nigeria)
As part of the work children took part in various activities including:
1. Map work using the geoguessr app on the ipads.
2. Research and writing tasks linked to each country.
3. A water carrying activity to understand the difficulties of life without running water.
4. Relating the proportion of the world without water and sanitation using information from the book and website "If the World were a village"
5. A Water aid assembly which looked at the problems linked to lack of access to water and water pollution.
As part of the project children were invited to"spend a penny" and managed to raise £179.00 which will be used to twin Pickering Community Junior School's toilets with toilets in another part of the world.